1. My first cat was named after my favorite West Wing character. His given name is Sampson Seaborn, Deputy Purrector of Commeownications for President Jeb Bartlett. My second cat is named Rowena Ravenpaw.
2. Non-Dairy Chunky Monkey is my favorite Ben and Jerry's flavor.
3. I am not-so-secretly obsessed with lichenology. And succulents. Should I become a terrestrial ecologist, I imagine I would study these organisms.
4. Chacos are my footwear of choice; my oldest pair have supported my outdoor adventures in over ten countries.
5. If my soul had a smell, it would be a combination of pine and ocean spray.
6. While I self-associate with Ravenclaw, I am consistently sorted into Slytherin.
7. There are few things in this world that peeve me more than the comic sans font.
8. Some more favorites: Mary Oliver's poetry, wool socks + Birkenstocks, crunchy peanut butter, yoga, and backpacking.
9. I drink my coffee black and my tea Earl grey.
10. Creating this website was challenging because I had to suppress my tendencies to be conservative in my design colors (I always go for earth tones), and sarcastic/sassy.
11. The first forest I ever loved are those at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. I am now partial to the National Park and National Forests on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State, where I lived for a year.
12. Recently, I got my first tattoo: it is my little brother Art's signature.
13. I once taught three generations of the Hawking family (including Jane!) about whales.
14. A month after this encounter, I helped to bury a dead grey whale at sea. Its bones have since been recovered, and are being cleaned with future plans of rearticulation. Dead whale is the most foul smell I have experienced.