1. My cat Sampson was named after my favorite West Wing character. His given name is Sampson Seaborn, Deputy Purrector of Commewnications.
2. Non-Dairy Chunky Monkey is my favorite Ben and Jerry's flavor.
3. I am not-so-secretly obsessed with lichenology. And succulents. Should I become a terrestrial ecologist, I imagine I would study these organisms.
4. Chacos are my footwear of choice; my oldest pair have supported my outdoor adventures in over ten countries.
5. If my soul had a smell, it would be a combination of pine and ocean spray.
6. While I self-associate with Ravenclaw, I am consistently sorted into Slytherin.
7. There are few things in this world that peeve me more than the comic sans font.
8. Some more favorites: Mary Oliver's poetry, wool socks + Birkenstocks, crunchy peanut butter, yoga, and backpacking.
9. I drink my coffee black and my tea Earl grey.
10. Creating this website was challenging because I had to suppress my tendencies to be conservative in my design colors (I always go for earth tones), and sarcastic/sassy.
11. The first forest I ever loved are those at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. I am now partial to the National Park and National Forests on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State, where I lived for a year.
12. Recently, I got my first tattoo: it is my little brother Art's signature.
13. I once taught three generations of the Hawking family (including Jane!) about whales.
14. A month after this encounter, I helped to bury a dead grey whale at sea. Its bones have since been recovered, and are being cleaned with future plans of rearticulation. Dead whale is the most foul smell I have experienced.